Monday, May 7, 2012

A Star Is Torn


A Star is Torn

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2012


This article talks to us about one of the wonders of space, how a black hole swallows a star. In 2010 NASA spotted a brightening around a massive back hole found in more than 2 billion light years from Earth. The flare continued to grow in brightness but then it died out. On May 2, an online article came out explaining how black holes engulf stars, and it said that by the time of the of engulfment, the star is just a helium-rich core, that probably had lost all of its layers in previous encounters with the black hole. The black hole ingests the star but leaves some stellar material into space. In 2010 this is most likely what happened, scientists suggest, that the light shown was the evidence that the black hole was shredding a star that wandered too close to it. Such disruptions are said to be rare, occurring only once every 10,000 years per galaxy, and it can also be helpful for astronomers to spot hidden black holes.

I chose this article, because at first I had seen a short notice on a National Newspaper that same morning, and I thought it was interesting, then when I was going to do the blog I saw it, and I decided I was going to use it. The way I chose it and how it is related to my life are closely related, because I’m very interested in the way the things of outer space work, and black holes are just something that are not really common, and the fact that they can eat up stars is just beyond the common thing you hear about space. I think that everything about this article interested me, and I hadn’t done an article related to space since a while ago, and I think that it is just something that is always going to be a part of me, and it was just a very interesting article.

I think that the area of interaction to which I can relate this article is Environments, because outer space is just another environment that we know little of. So I think that it is closely related to the way we can perceive our own environment. 

1 comment:

  1. Can you imagine...Swallowing a star.....The black hole must be massive.

    ReplyDelete